Delhi Chief Minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supremo Arvind Kejriwal is celebrating his 48th birthday today (Tuesday, Aug 16).
Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished him on Twitter and posted: “Birthday greetings to Delhi CM @ArvindKejriwal. I pray for his long life and good health.: To this, Kejriwal replied: “Thank u so much, sir.”
His political predecessor Sheila Dikshit tweeted: “Happy Birthday Kejriwalji. @ArvindKejriwal”; to which, he posted: “Thank u Sheila ji.”
He was also greeted on his birthday on the micro-blogging site by leading politicians, including West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, political analyst Yashwant Deshmukh, Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly Vijender Gupta, Bihar deputy chief minister Tejashwi Yadav, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and Congress spokesperson Sanjay Jha.
The list did not stop at politicians only. Kejriwal was showered with birthday greetings by boxer Vijender Singh, actor Aftab Shivdasani and musician Vishal Dadlani, among others.
An overwhelmed AAP chief said: “Received birthday greetings from many friends, relatives, supporters. I sincerely thank everyone for their warm wishes.”
Here are 10 interesting facts about India’s Original Muffler-Man that you might wish to know:
1. Kejriwal is an alumni of IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)-Kharagpur. He graduated in Mechanical Engineering from the institution.
2. He was hired by Tata Steel in 1989 and got his posting in Jamshedpur. He resigned in 1992 to prepare for the Civil Services Examination.
3. He joined the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) in 1995.
4. While working on his career, he met Mother Teresa in Kolkata and worked as a volunteer for her Missionaries of Charity for around two months.
5. While working as an Income Tax (I-T) officer, he started a non-governmental organization (NGO) called Parivartan with a donation of Rs 50,000 from his relatives.
The aim of the NGO was to make people stop paying bribes to income tax officers and instead, get the work done via Parivartan.
6. Even as an I-T officer, he proffered not to take the services of his peon and rather cleaned his desk and disposed of the garbage in office dustbin himself.
7. Kejriwal generally tries to avoid get-togethers so much so that he neither celebrates his nor his children’s birthdays.
8. Kejriwal is a fan of Bollywood actor Aamir Khan. A movie buff, he likes watching comedies.
9. According to his colleagues, Kejriwal barely sleeps four hours a day.
10. A diabetic, Kejriwal follows a strict vegetarian diet and practices Vipassana meditation regularly.
(Sources: Quora, askIITians, Listovative, Wiki NewForum, Wikipedia)
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.