Here is everything that you need to know about the announcement:
1. The terms of the legislative assemblies in Goa, Manipur and Punjab will expire on March 18, while it is March 26 for Uttarakhand assembly and March 27 for Uttar Pradesh.
2. Voting in Uttar Pradesh will be done in seven phases – Feb 11, Feb 15, Feb 19, Feb 23, Feb 27, Mar 4 and March 8.
3. The Legislative Assembly of Punjab will go on polls on Feb 4.
4. Goa will also vote on Feb 4.
5. Voting in Uttarakhand will take place on Feb 15.
6. Manipur will be casting vote on Mar 8.
7. Counting in all 5 states will be held on Mar 11.
8. Over 16 crore voters will decide the fate of a total of 690 Assembly seats in five states.
9. As per the Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies Order, 2008, 133 seats are reserved for the Scheduled Castes, while 23 are for Scheduled Tribes.
10. The Final Electoral Roll of Goa will be published on Jan 5, Manipur on Jan 12, Punjab Jan 5, Uttarakhand on Jan 10 and Uttar Pradesh on Jan 12.
11. Around 1.85 lakh polling stations will be set up across five states.
12. Separate polling stations for women, including all-women managed stations, will be made functional in some areas.
13. Every polling station will have four posters highlighting the voting procedure and “Do’s and Don’ts”.
14. The height of Voting Compartments has been increased by 30 inch to enhance the secrecy of votes.
15. Voter Assistance Booths will be set up for every polling station location.
16. The ECI has set the limit of expenses for candidates in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Uttarakhand at Rs 28 lakh; and, for candidates in Goa and Manipur at Rs 20 lakh.
(Source: ECI website, PIB)