Samajwadi Party patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav built the party brick by brick.
Under his leadership, SP trounced the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party in 2012 assembly elections to capture power in Uttar Pradesh.
He planted his son Akhilesh Singh, almost a greenhorn in politics, as the chief minister of the state.
Five-year down the line, Mulayam has become the enemy No.1 of his son and fights with the latter for total control over the SP even as the seven-phase elections for the 403 seats in the state assembly begin on February 11.
Though opinion polls and news reports suggest Akhilesh’s appeal cuts across castes and religion and the SP has a lead over other parties under his leadership, the dual between threatens to mar the chance of the party to come back to power for a consecutive second time.
As the father and the son keep fighting with each other, it is time to track the family tree of the powerful Yadav clan:
1. Mewaram Singh Yadav had two sons – Sughar Singh Yadav and Bachchi Lal Singh Yadav.
2. Sughar Singh Yadav married Murti Devi Yadav and had five sons – Abhay Ram Singh Yadav, Ratan Singh Yadav, Mulayam Singh Yadav (Samajwadi Party patriarch), Rajpal Singh Yadav, Shivpal Singh Yadav (state president of Samajwadi Party).
3. Bachchilal Singh Yadav married twice. His first wife was Geeta Devi, with whom he had a son Arvind Yadav.
His second wife was Phoolwati, who is the mother of expelled Samajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav. His son is Firozabad MP Akshay Yadav.
4. Abhay Ram Singh Yadav married Jay Devi and their son Dharmendra Yadav is a Samajwadi Party MP from Baduan Lok Sabha constituency.
Dharmendra’s twin sister Sandhya Yadav is the chairperson of Mainpuri Zila Panchayat.
His sister-in-law Vandana Yadav is Hamirpur Zila Panchayat chairperson. His sister Sheela Yadav is a member of the Lucknow District Development Council.
5. Ratan Singh Yadav was an ex-serviceman who had fought the Indo-Pakistan war of 1965.
His son is Ranveer Singh Yadav, whose wife Mridula Yadav is a block development council member from Saifai.
Their son is Mainpuri MP Tej Pratap Singh. Tej Pratap Singh is married to Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav’s daughter Raj Laxmi.
6. Mulayam Singh Yadav was married twice. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is his son from first wife Malti Devi.
He has another son, Prateek Yadav, with his second wife Sadhna Gupta Yadav. He is into real estate business and runs a chain of fitness centres.
Mulayam’s brother-in-law Ajant Yadav is a block development council (BDC) member.
7. Akhilesh Yadav is married to Dimple Yadav, who is the Lok Sabha member from Kannauj.
8. Prateek Yadav is married to social worker Aparna Yadav, who has been declared as a Samajwadi Party candidate from the Lucknow Cantonment seat for the upcoming polls.
9. Rajpal Singh Yadav married Premlata Yadav. Their son is Samajwadi Party leader and Etawah zila panchayat president Abhishek alias Anshul Yadav.
10. Shivpal Singh Yadav and his wife Sarla Devi have a son, Aditya Yadav, who is the chairperson of UP Pradeshik Cooperative Federation Ltd.
(Sources: Samajwadi Party website, The Hindu, HT)