Times are tough for Tamil superstar Dhanush as he is still battling a court case in which an elderly couple from Madurai are claiming that they are his biological parents and that he is not providing their maintenance.
On Tuesday (Feb 28), Dhanush appeared before the Madurai bench of Madras High Court and verified his identification marks – a mole on his collar, and a scar on his forearm. The case has been adjourned for March 2 for final hearing.
In November 2016, retired bus conductor Kathiresan (60) and his wife Meenakshi (55), residents of Melur taluk in Madurai, claimed Dhanush was one of their three children who was born at Government Rajaji Hospital in the city.
They said his real name is Kalaiselvan and that he went to Chennai for a job where he joined Tamil film director and producer Kasthuri Raja (Dhanush’s father).
The couple approached the Melur court to make Dhanush pay their monthly medical expenses of Rs 65,000. When the court summoned Dhanush in the case, he moved the Madras High Court seeking to quash proceedings.
While we wait for the court to come out with its verdict, here are 10 lesser facts about Dhanush, the Tamil superstar:
1. Do you know his real name is Venkatesh Prabhu Kasthuri Raja? However, when he joined the Tamil film industry, he decided to get a stage name as his real name sounded similar to famous Tamil actors Prabhu and Prabhu Deva.
And then he saw 1995 film Kuruthipunal, where Kamal Haasan gets on a mission named ‘Operation Dhanush’ to stop terrorist activities. Impressed with the name, he started calling himself Dhanush.
2. This Tamil superstar wanted to do hotel management and become a chef. It was his father Tamil film director and producer Kasthuri Raja and filmmaker brother Selvaraghavan who pressurized him to do films.
3. Remember his famous song “Kolaveri Di”? It was a song from 2012 Tamil psychological thriller “3”. It took him just six minutes to write the lyrics of the song!
4. He is a strong believer in Lord Shiva. He even named his elder son Yatra (pilgrimage) and younger one Linga (after the Shiva Linga).
You may like to read
5. Well, by now, everyone knows that Dhanush is married to superstar Rajinikanth’s daughter Aishwarya.
But do you know his wife is older to him by two years! He met her at the screening of his 2003 film “Kaadhal Kondein” and fell in love with her. They got married on Nov 18, 2004.
6. This Tamil superstar is a vegetarian. In 2011, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) named him as India’s hottest vegetarian celebrity. He also worked as PETA’s brand ambassador.
7. Dhanush has decided never to smoke on screen. This happened after he faced criticism for smoking in his 2015 Tamil gangster comedy film “Maari”.
8. Though he has acted in two Hindi films – “Raanjhanaa” (2013) and “Shamitabh” (2015), he is still not very comfortable with the language.
9. In one of his interviews, Dhanush confessed that he was in love with a girl who dumped him after he failed in his Class XII examination.
10. In 2012, Dhanush worked with World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to support its Earth Hour initiative.