It’s Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar’s birthday. India’s batting icon turned 44 on Monday (Apr 24).
India skipper Virat Kohli took to Twitter to wish Sachin Tendulkar. “Happy B’day Paaji 🙏😊. May God bless you with more happiness and peace in life. My cricket hero always. 👌🔝🔝 @sachin_rt”, he posted.
Sachin Tendulkar’s contemporary and now Indian Cricket Team’s head coach Anil Kumble wished him: “#HappyBirthdaySachin. One of the most inspiring sportsmen the world has seen. Hope you have a splendid year ahead @sachin_rt.”
Former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag tweeted: “A rare occasion when one could have committed a crime,God ji sleeping.To a man who could stop time in India, #HappyBirthdaySachin @sachin_rt.”
Here are 10 interesting facts related to former India captain Sachin Tendulkar:
1. Sachin Tendulkar is an an ambidextrous. He bats and bowls with his right hand but writes with his left.
2. Sachin Tendulkar’s father Ramesh Tendulkar was a fan of veteran music composer-singer Sachin Dev Burman. Master Blaster was named after SD Burman.
3. Sachin Tendulkar used to play with a bat that was as heavy as 3.2 lbs.
4. He liked collecting cars, perfumes and watches. His first car was a Maruti 800.
5. He was only 16 when he made his Test debut against Pakistan. It was veteran cricketer Sunil Gavaskar who gifted Sachin the pads he wore at the game.
6. There is a ward in Delhi’s Tihar Jail which is named after Sachin Tendulkar.
7. Despite no aviation background, Sachin Tendulkar was the first person to be awarded an honorary rank of Group Captain by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
8. Sachin Tendulkar wanted to be a fast bowler. It was former Australian cricketer Dennis Lillee who asked him to concentrate more on his batting skills.
9. His pediatrician wife Anjali Tendulkar used to fast whenever Sachin was on the crease. She felt it would bring good luck and success to her husband.
10. At 19, Sachin Tendulkar was the youngest Indian to play county cricket in England.
Pic credit: Swachh Bharat Urban