In what was termed by most British media as “wedding of the year”, Pippa Middleton, the younger sister of Duchess of Cambridge Catherine “Kate” Middleton, married millionaire hedge fund manager James Matthews in a lavish ceremony at the picturesque 12th-century St. Mark’s Church in Englefield on Saturday (May 20).
Duke of Cambridge Prince William and his brother Prince Harry both were present at the ceremony.
Kate Middleton attended the wedding with her children – Prince George and Princess Charlotte, who played the roles of a page boy and a flower girl respectively.
Here are 10 things you need to know about Pippa Middleton:
1. Pippa Middleton rose to fame upon her stylish appearance at her sister Kate Middleton’s wedding to Prince William on Apr 29, 2011.
She played the maid of honour and grabbed media attention in a sleek white gown. She became an instant celebrity on social media.
2. Pippa Middleton was born Philippa Charlotte Middleton to former British Airways flight dispatcher Michael Middleton and former flight attendant Carole Middleton on Sept 6, 1983, at Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading. She was their second-born.
3. In 2012, Pippa Middleton authored a book titled “Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends”.
4. The socialite is also known for her charity works. In 2013, Pippa Middleton became the ambassador of Mary Hare School for Deaf Children. In 2014, she became an ambassador to British Heart Foundation (BHF) as well.
5. She donated the proceeds of her second book “Heartfelt”, published in 2016, to British Heart Foundation.
6. Pippa Middleton will eventually become Lady Glen Affric as her husband James Matthews is heir to the Scottish courtesy title of Laird of Glen Affric with an estimated worth of £2 billion as of in 2017.
7. In 2008, after her graduation, Pippa Middleton briefly worked as a public relations officer for promoting luxury products. She also had her stint at a London-based events management company Table Talk.
8. Pippa Middleton is also a popular columnist. She has contributed articles to magazines like The Spectator, Waitrose Kitchen, Vanity Fair and The Sunday Telegraph.
9. Pippa Middleton is quite an athlete as well. As a boarder at Marlborough College, she had got a sports/all-rounder scholarship.
We have seen her running a high-altitude marathon in Africa; participating in Race Across America, a 3,000-mile relay biking event across America; completing a 56-mile cross-country ski race in Mora, Sweden in sub-zero temperatures – and more!
10. Before dating her present husband James Matthews, Pippa Middleton reportedly had affair with banking magnet JJ Jardine Paterson, millionaire Alexander Spencer Churchill, and former England cricketer Alex Loudon.