Hours after actor Deepika Padukone unveiled the first look posters of her upcoming film “Padmavati” on micro-blogging site Twitter, Rajput Karni Sena, an association of the Rajput community, threatened that they won’t allow the film to be screened if filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali distorted the facts and showed any disrespect to legendary 13th-14th century Rajput queen Rani Padmini, also known as Padmavati.
Here are 10 facts you should know about Deepika Padukone’s period drama “Padmavati”:
1. The film “Padmavati” is directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, and jointly produced by Bhansali and Viacom 18 Motion Pictures.
2. Actor Deepika Padukone is playing the title role of Rani Padmini, while Ranveer Singh will be seen as Alauddin Khilji and Shahid Kapoor as Rawal Ratan Singh. The film also stars Jim Sarbh and Aditi Rao Hydari.
3. The film was scheduled for Nov 17 release but after facing protests in Rajasthan, the film got delayed and will now release on Dec 1.
4. It is a cinematic take on the life of Rani Padmini, who finds her mention in Padmavat, an epic poem written in Awadhi in 1540 CE by poet Malik Muhammad Jayasi. Padmavat is the fictionalized version of the 1303 CE siege of Chittorgarh in Rajasthan by Turkic ruler of the Delhi Sultanate Alauddin Khilji.
Led by his desire for the beautiful Rani Padmini, wife of Rana Rawal Ratan Singh, the brutal Sultan attacked Chittor Fort in Rajputana.
After Rana Rawal Ratan Singh was defeated by Alauddin Khilji, Rani Padmavati and all other women of Chittor committed mass self-immolation (jauhar) to protect their chastity from Muslim invaders.
5. The pre-production of the Hindi film started in July 2016.
6. Protests began when the shooting of the film began in Rajasthan’s Jaipur city in January this year.
Accusing the makers of distorting history, Shri Rajput Karni Sena vandalized the film’s set put up at Jaigarh Fort and even attacked Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The mob alleged that the film has intimate scenes between Alauddin Khilji and Rani Padmavati.
7. In March, Padmavati sets were vandalised again and set on fire in Kolhapur city of Maharashtra by around 20-30 unidentified men. In a statement to media, Bhansali Productions said: “Filed a complaint against miscreants who vandalized our costume & jewelry and set it on fire Padmavati. No loss of life, no one seriously hurt on
In a statement to media, Bhansali Productions said: “Filed a complaint against miscreants who vandalized our costume & jewelry and set it on fire Padmavati. No loss of life, no one seriously hurt on vandalized shoot of Padmavati.”
8. Initially, Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted actors Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Salman Khan to play Padmavati and Rawal Ratan Singh.
But since they refused to share screen together, the filmmaker repeated his hit on-screen pair – Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh. The two actors had earlier played the leads in Bhansali’s Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela (2013) and Bajirao Mastani (2015).
9. Ranveer Singh, for the first time will play a bisexual on screen. “Padmavati” will show a bisexual relationship between Alauddin Khilji and his slave-general Malik Naib Kafur to be played by Jim Sarbh.
10. For “Padmavati” Deepika Padukone is reportedly getting paid a whopping Rs. 13 crore, higher than her male co-stars Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor who are being paid around Rs 10 crore each.
Image: Deepika Padukone’s official Twitter handle