With digitization, travellers no longer need to stand in long queues at railway stations to book their tickets. Reservations are now just a click away.
Here are 10 steps to book a railway ticket online:
1. Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) handles the catering, tourism and online ticketing operations of the Indian Railways.
Go to their official website www.irctc.co.in. Register yourself. They will verify you via your phone number.
2. As a registered user, log in to the eTicketing system with your username and password.
3. Once you log in to your account, the online ticketing system will take you to the option “Plan My Journey”. Plan your trip and enter journey details like source station, destination station, travel date.
4. After you fill in the details, the system will provide you with a list of trains suitable for your journey. You choose a train according to your requirement (AC, General, First Class, Chair Car, Window Seat, Lower Berth, etc).
5. Complete the transaction by paying for the ticket via internet banking, credit card, debit card or EMI system.
6. Once the booking is confirmed, you will get your e-Ticket on your mobile as well as registered email id.
7. Go to “Print Ticket” option and take a print out of your e-Ticket for your journey.
8. Make sure you carry an identity proof – Aadhaar Card, Pan Card, Voter Id Card, Driving Licence, etc. – during your journey as you will need to show it along with your e-Ticket.
You may like to read
9. You may also book your food for the journey. Click on “Book Meal for Train Journey”, fill in the details and get your selected food at your train berth.
10. In case your name reflects on the Waiting List, you may keep checking your updated status by going to “Check PNR Status” under “Enquiries” option.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.