The government has made it compulsory to link all mobile numbers to respective users’ Aadhaar cards by Feb 6, 2018.
The step has been taken to weed out people who have mobile connections against fake identities.
Here are 10 things you should know about the Aadhaar-mobile number linking procedure:
1. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has said that mobile users will be able to link their SIM cards with their respective Aadhaar cards from the comfort of their homes from Dec 1, 2017.
2. From Dec 1 onwards, an OTP (One-Time Pin) will be received on the mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Thus you will be able to link your UID (Unique Identity Number) with your mobile number or SIM.
3. If you want to link your Aadhaar with your mobile number before Dec 1, you have to contact your telecom service provider with your Aadhaar card. You might be required to give your fingerprint for mobile phone verification.
4. There is no provision for linking your mobile number with your Aadhaar. So stay safe from fraudulent calls.
5. You will only need your Aadhaar card for a re-verification process. No other documents like PAN card or Voter ID card will be required.
You may like to read
6. Mobile users may re-verify their SIM card numbers from any part of India.
7. There is no fee for linking your Aadhaar with your mobile number.
8. If you have multiple mobile connections, you will need separate biometric verification for each SIM number.
9. The government has directed telecom operators to make sure their agents don’t store any customer data on their devices in case they assign local operators for assisting in biometric authentication.
10. So far, the deadline to link Aadhaar with your mobile number is Feb 6, 2018, post which connections of non-verified users will be deactivated.
Pic credit: UIDAI tweet
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.