Former Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram’s son Kari Chidambaram has been sent to five-day Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) custody on Thursday (March 1) in connection with INX media money laundering case.
Here is everything you need to know about Kari Chidambaram:
1. Karti Chidambaram was born to Palaniappan Chidambaram and Nalini Chidambaram on Nov 16, 1971 at Kandanur, near Karaikudi, Sivaganga district, Tamil Nadu.
2. He did his schooling at Don Bosco in Egmore, Chennai. Later he studied business management at the University of Texas at Austin and law at the University of Cambridge.
3. Upon his return to Tamil Nadu post his graduation, Karti Chidambaram joined his father P Chidambaram’s new party Tamil Maanila Congress as election manager in Sivaganga.
4. In 2014, Karti Chidambaram contested the General Elections on a Congress ticket from the Sivaganga Lok Sabha constituency, but lost his deposit.
5. Karti Chidambaram came under scanner on May 14, 2012 when his link-up with Advantage Strategic Consulting surfaced and so did his illegal financial transactions with the firm. However, his father P Chidambaram defended him strongly in the Parliament.
6. In Jan 2015, the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee show-caused him and sought an explanation why Karti Chidambaram should not be expelled from the party for allegedly praising Prime Minister Narenda Modi at an event in Chennai.
7. P Chidambaram’s reputation got another blow when he and Karti Chidambaram were named in the Aircel-Maxis case where the deal was allegedly granted Foreign Investement Promotion Board (FIPB) approval, illegally.
8. A report in The Pioneer newspaper on Feb 29, 2016, claimed Karti Chidambaram was involved in several international business activities, most involving various tax havens, across London, Dubai, South Africa, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, British Virgin Island, France, the U.S., Switzerland, Greece, and Spain.
You may like to read
9. It was also reported that the period between 2006-2014 were golden years of accumulation wealth for Karti Chidambaram; the same time when his father P Chidambaram was Union Finance Minister and Home Minister, and granted him undue political favours.
10. In Aug 2017, Karti Chidambaram was asked to appear before the CBI to face interrogation for allegedly receiving Rs. 10 lakh from Mubai-based INX media (now, 9X Media) for helping it get FIPB clearance at the time when Peter and Indrani Mukerjea were its directors.
11. Karti Chidambaram was arrested by the CBI from Chennai airport on his return from abroad on Feb 28, 2018 in the INX media case.
12. He loves playing tennis and has won several tournaments.
13. Karti Chidambaram has a daughter named Aditi Nalini Chidambaram with his wife Dr. Srinidhi Rangarajan.
Pic credit Facebook @karti.chidambaram
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.