Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar flew to USA late last night where he will undergo treatment for his pancreatic ailment.
In a letter to Goa Governor Mridula Sinha dated Mar 5, Parrikar wrote: “I have been advised by an expert team of doctors in Goa as well as in Mumbai … to travel overseas for specialist expert treatment of my medical condition. As such, I am likely to leave for the US.”
Since Feb 15, the Goa Chief Minister has been in and out of hospitals.
On Monday evening, Parrikar was re-admitted to Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai for the next course of treatment, Maharashtra Revenue Minister Chandrakant Patil had confirmed.
While we pray for Manohar Parrikar’s speedy recovery, here are 10 interesting facts about the Goa chief minister:
1. Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar has a signature look. Be it at political meetings or his son’s wedding, you will never find him without his trademark half-sleeved bush shirt, creased trousers and simple footwear.
2. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader never let personal tragedies affect his job as a public servant. For example, a few months after he took oath as Goa chief minister for the first time in 2000, he lost his wife Medha to cancer in 2001.
But he did not let the tragedy affect his responsibilities as a state head or a single parent to his two teenage sons – Utpal and Abhijat.
3. He does not take government benefits. Even though Manohar Parrikar is a chief minister, he still lives in his own house, which is quite a modest one. He still uses the Innova car which he was allotted as leader of the opposition, instead of a fancier SUV.
4. Manohar Parrikar still travels in economy class. In fact, he is quite famous for travelling in rickshaws and other public transport like a common man, when outside Goa.
5. He even pays bill for his personal mobile from his own pocket.
6. A workaholic even at 62, the Goa CM is known for working 16-18 hours every day.
7. He was branded as “Goa’s Mr. Clean” after he eliminated the state’s illegal mining racket suspending and cancelling licenses of several traders.
He is even known for suspending block development officers, panchayat secretaries and lower-rank staff who are found to be corrupt.
8. The BJP leader is a 1978 graduate in metallurgical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai (IIT Mumbai). He is the first IIT alumnus to serve as MLA of an Indian state.
9. His full name is Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar.
10. Manohar Parrikar is considered quite close to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Even before the Modi wave swept India in 2014, he openly backed him as BJP’s choice for PM.
Pic: Twitter @goacm