Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Biplab Kumar Deb is all set to become the new chief minister of Tripura after the saffron party toppled the Left Front’s 25-year rule.in the state in the recently-held Assembly elections.
Jishnu Deb Burman will be the new deputy chief minister of Tripura.
Tripura BJP president Biplab Kumar Deb will be taking oath as the 10th Chief Minister of Tripura on Friday (Mar 9) in a grand ceremony which might see the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, along with all BJP chief ministers from across the country.
Here are 10 facts you need to know about new Tripura chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb:
1. Though his parents were originally from Kachua Upazila of Chandpur in Bangladesh, Biplab Deb was born on Nov 25, 1969, at Rajdhar Nagar village in Gomati district of Tripura.
2. Biplab Kumar Deb shifted to New Delhi for higher studies after completing schooling in Tripura and graduation from Udaipur College. It was after 15 years that he returned to Tripura.
3. He served as a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) volunteer and even campaigned during Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) elections.
4. Biplab Deb became Tripura’s BJP president on Jan 7, 2016.
5. It was Biplab Kumar Deb who helped the defection of Indian National Congress MLAs led by Sudip Roy Barman to the BJP on Aug 8, 2017.
6. He was instrumental in leading BJP to its massive victory in the 2018 Legislative Assembly Election in Tripura. Pertinently, BJP, along with its ally Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura, won 43 out of 60 seats in the assembly, putting an end to Left rule in the state.
Veteran Communist Party of India (Marxist) [CPI-M] leader and chief minister Manik Sarkar was shown the gates after remaining in power for 20 years.
7. He himself defeated CPI-M youth leader Amal Chakraborty in the Banamalipur constituency by a margin of 9,549 votes.
8. Known for his cordial nature, Biplab Deb went to the CPI-M party office Melarmath area of Agartala the day after the election results were announced and sought blessings from outgoing CM Manik Sarkar. He also asked his party workers not to resort to any kind of violence in the state.
9. Biplab Deb, 48, will be the second youngest chief minister of India after Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis, 47.
10. Biplab Kumar Deb has a daughter and a son from his marriage to Neeti Deb.
Pic credit: Biplab Kumar Deb