Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan has said he is suffering from a “rare disease” and that he will share details after a conclusive diagnosis.
In a Twitter post on Mar 5, the versatile actor said: “Sometimes you wake up with a jolt with life shaking you up. The last fifteen days, my life has been a suspense story. Little had I known that my search for rare stories would make me find a rare disease. I have never given up and have always fought for my choices and always will. My family and friends are with me and we are working it out the best way possible.”
“In trying times, please don’t speculate as I will myself share with you my story within a week – ten days, when the further investigations come with a conclusive diagnosis. Till then, wish the best for me,” the post read.
Irrfan Khan, 51, was diagnosed with a severe case of jaundice, confirmed his manager on Feb 21.
The same day, filmmaker Vishal Bhardwaj, who was to start shooting for his next with his lead actors Deepika Padukone and Irrfan Khan, postponed it.
In his official Facebook, Vishal Bhardwaj posted: “I am pushing back the film by a few months as both of my lead actors are down with different health problems. Irrfan is down with jaundice and it will take him a few weeks to recover and Deepika Padukone’s back problem which had previously developed during the shooting of Padmaavat has now resurfaced.”
While we wait to see Irrfan Khan back on the silver screen, here are 10 interesting facts about the actor that you should know:
1. Irrfan Khan became an actor by chance. He wanted to be a cricketer. However, while pursuing his MA degree in Jaipur, he got a scholarship to study at National School of Drama (NSD) in New Delhi in 1984.
2. While he was a final year student at NSD, filmmaker Mira Nair picked him up for a role in her 1988 film “Salaam Bombay!”.
3. His real name is Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan.
4. In 2012, he himself changed the spelling of his name from “Irfan” and made it “Irrfan”, saying he likes the sound of an extra “r” in his name.
5. With a height of 6 feet, Irrfan Khan is one of the few tallest actors in Bollywood.
6. He turned down Christopher Nolan’s science fiction “Interstellar” (2014) as it required him to stay in the US for four months at a stretch.
7. He married his fellow NSD graduate and writer Sutapa Sikdar on Feb 23, 1995, They have two sons – Babil and Ayan.
8. In one of his past interviews of a film magazine, Irrfan Khan said even today, he stays up till 3 am to read through at least one new Hollywood script a week; he takes notes, and tries to understand various ways to play his characters, as a part of his homework.
9. The Rajasthan government named him the brand ambassador of “Resurgent Rajasthan” campaign in September 2015.
10. In 2011, Irrfan Khan was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour for his contribution to the field of arts.
Pic credit: Twitter @irrfank
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.