A woman opened fire at YouTube's headquarters in Northern California on Tuesday (Apr 3), injuring three before killing herself. Here…
Here is what happened:
1. Around 12.46 pm on Apr 3, a 39-year-old woman, later identified as Nasim Najafi Aghdam, started shooting randomly at the YouTube campus located at 901 Cherry Avenue in San Bruno, California.
2. San Bruno Police Officers arrived on scene at 12:48pm and immediately entered the building to search for a possible suspect.
3. In the shooting, one man, 36, and two women (32 and 27) suffered bullet injuries.
“Arriving officers encountered numerous employees fleeing the premises. Officers encountered one victim with an apparent gunshot wound at the site and two additional gunshot victims that had fled to a neighboring business,” the San Bruno Police said in an official statement.
4. The cops also located a deceased female inside the complex with a gunshot wound. Later they identified her as shooter Nasim Najafi Aghdam.
5. Nasim Najafi Aghdam was a resident of San Diego.
6. The San Bruno Police Department said it is investigating a motive for this shooting.
“At this time there is no evidence that the shooter knew the victims of this shooting or that individuals were specifically targeted,” said the police statement.
7. However, Nasim Najafi Aghdam’s father Ismail Aghdam told Bay Area News Group that she was furious with YouTube over payment issues.
8. Ismail Aghdam said Nasim Najafi Aghdam was missing on Monday (Apr 2) after she did not answer her phone for two days.
9. She was found sleeping in a car by the Mountain View police early Tuesday (Apr 3).
10. Ismail Aghdam said he had warned the Mountain View police that his daughter might head to YouTube, a company she “hated”.
11. Nasim Najafi Aghdam’s online profile said she was a vegan activist. She ran a website – nasimesabz.com – where she promoted Persian culture and veganism.
12. On her website also, she posted her disappointment with YouTube.
“There is no free speech in real world & you will be suppressed for telling the truth that is not supported by the system. Videos of targeted users are filtered & merely relegated, so that people can hardly see their videos! There is no equal growth opportunity on YOUTUBE or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to!!!!!” she posted on her website’s homepage.
13. Post the shooting, YouTube terminated her account. Her Instagram and Facebook accounts have also been removed.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.
The Government's much-touted aim to deliver Housing for All by 2022 may not have met with spectacular success in terms…
Besides commercial office spaces, the retail sector also emerged as one of the most vibrant and fast-paced real estate sectors…
Driverless cars: The new sensation in both the tech and transport sectors. The cars are not yet here with us…