The Pakistan Supreme Court disqualified him from politics for life in connection with corruption charges.
Here is a brief political timeline on former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif:
1. He was born Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif on Dec 25, 1949, in Lahore.
2. He is Pakistan’s longest-serving Prime Minister. However, despite being elected as PM thrice, he could never complete a term.
3. In 1977, Sharif started Ittefaq Group, his business venture dealing with steel, sugar and textile industries.
4. He became the chief minister of Punjab province in 1985.
5. It was in October 1990 that Sharif was elected as Pakistan’s prime minister.for the first time.
6. But on April 18, 1993, Sharif’s government was dismissed by President Ghulam Ishaq Khan on alleged corruption charges.
7. He was re-elected as Pakistan PM on February 3, 1997.
8. Sharif was overthrown by Pakistan Army General Pervez Musharraf in a bloodless coup on October 12, 1999.
9. On April 6, 2000, he was convicted for plane hijacking/terrorism and sentenced to life imprisonment.
10. He was released from prison in December 2000, and till August 2007 remained in exile in Saudi Arabia.
11. The Pakistan Supreme court lifted his exile on August 23, 2007.
12.Sharif returned to Pakistan on November 25, 2007.
13. He became the Pakistan Prime Minister for the third time on June 5, 2013.
14. Sharif had to resign on July 28, 2017 after the Pakistan Supreme Court ruled against him and declared him dishonest and unfit for office.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.