It’s not every other day that you come across such a strong-willed woman, who is a working lady, a wife, and mother of a four-year-old; someone who has left studies almost nine years ago; but makes up her mind to sit for one of India’s toughest competitive exams, and guess what! Not only she cracks it, but bags the second position.
All set to become an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, Haryana’s Anu Kumari, has ranked second at the Civil Services Exam 2017 conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
With this feat, Anu Kumari set an inspiring example for all women who dream big but don’t know how to balance their personal life and career.
The 31-year-old showed there is no age or obstruction big enough to stop pursuing your dreams. All you need are determination, dedication and hard work.
Here is everything you need to know about Anu Kumari – the woman who ranked 2 in the IAS exam:
1. Born Nov 18, 1986 to Baljit Singh and Santro Devi in Haryana’s Sonipat district, Anu Kumari is a perfect example of how one can balance housework, responsibility of child and career.
2. She graduated with B.Sc (Hons) in Physics from Delhi University and did MBA (Finance and Marketing) from Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Nagpur.
3. Anu Kumari quit her job at Aviva Life Insurance in Gurgaon in 2016 to focus on the UPSC exam.
4. Anu Kumari stayed alone at her maternal aunt’s house to prepare for the Civil Services exam, while she sacrificed her personal life and sent away her child to her mother’s house.
5. She never took any coaching for the exam, Instead, she used to study for 10-12 hours a day to materialize her dream of becoming an IAS officer.
6. There was no newspaper in the village, she relied on internet and online content for her studies.
7. Anu Kumari wants to focus on ensuring safety for all women in her new role of an IAS officer.
8. It was in her second attempt to crack the IAS exam. She was one mark short in her previous UPSC preliminary examination.
9. She is married to Delhi-based businessman Varun Dahiya and has a 4-year-old son Rihan.
10. Haryana Urban Local Bodies Minister Kavita Jain said Anu Kumari will be made the brand ambassador of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (Save the Girl child, Educate the Girl child) campaign in Sonipat district.
Pic credit: Anu Kumari
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.