Former Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief and Additional Director General of Police of Maharashtra Himanshu Roy shot himself dead with his service revolver at his Malabar Hills residence in Mumbai on Friday (May 11). He was 54.
In his suicide note, the top cop said he took the step “out of frustration” due to his illness.
Pertinently, he was fighting cancer.
After he shot himself around 12.40 pm, he was rushed to Bombay Hospital, where he was declared brought dead.
He is survived by his mother and wife Bhawna.
In a statement, the Mumbai Police said: “Today at 12.40 pm, Himanshu Roy, Additional General of Police, Maharashtra, shot himself with his private licensed revolver and took his life at his residence.”
“For the past two years, the late Himanshu Roy was in severe pain on account of cancer and was on medical leave. He was under medication. Due to this illness, he was depressed and hence took this extreme step. This was revealed in the suicide note written by him,” the statement said.
Here are 10 things to know about former Maharashtra ATS chief Himanshu Roy:
1. Himanshu Roy was born June 23, 1963 in Mumbai.
2. He went to Campion School and then St Xavier’s College.
3. Himanshu Roy was an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Maharashtra Cadre of 1988 batch.
4. Often referred to as ‘Arnold Schwarznegger’ of Mumbai Police, Himanshu Roy served as the Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) in Mumbai from 2012-2014.
5. During his tenure, he led the investigation into the 2013 Indian Premier League (IPL) spot-fixing and betting scandal.
6. It was Himanshu Roy who was behind the arrest of actor Vindu Dara Singh for his alleged links with match-fixing bookies.
7. He was then transferred to the Maharashtra ATS and given the charge to head the agency. During his tenure, the agency arrested software engineer Anees Ansari, who allegedly planned to blow up the American School of Bombay at the Bandra Kurla Complex.
8. The top cop is credited with being part of the probe team in several prominent cases, including firing on don Dawood Ibrahim’s brother Iqbal Kaskar’s driver Arif Bael, murders of journalist J. Dey, Bollywood actor Laila Khan and law graduate Pallavi Purkhayasta, and double murder case involving Vijay Palande, in Mumbai.
9. He was also involved in pursuing leads about American-born Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist David Headley, who came to recce Mumbai before 26/11 terror attacks.
10. Known to be a fitness enthusiastic, Himanshu Roy was on leave since 2016 due to his illness.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.