Indian state fuel retailers hiked petrol and diesel prices across the country on Tuesday, the highest in nearly five…
Indian state fuel retailers hiked petrol and diesel prices across the country on Tuesday, the highest in nearly five years.
1. A day before Karnataka assembly poll result, on Monday (May 14), petrol prices were raised by about 0.2% (17 paise) and diesel prices by 0.3% (21 paise) in all major cities, said the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
2. On Tuesday (May 15), in a second rise this month, the IOC increased petrol prices by 15 paise a litre and diesel prices by 23 paise a litre.
3. With this, petrol price reached a new high in 56 months, while diesel price got a new all-time high.
4. The new prices came to effect from 6 am on May 15.
5. Now petrol will cost you 74.95 per litre in national capital Delhi, Rs. 77.65 per litre in Kolkata, Rs.82.79 per litre in Mumbai and Rs. 77.77 per litre in Chennai.
6. Diesel prices now stand at Rs. 66.36 per litre in New Delhi, Rs. 68.9 per litre in Kolkata, Rs. 70.66 per litre in Mumbai and Rs.70.02 per litre in Chennai.
7. The IOC mentioned on its official website iocl.com that in comparison to May 14 rates, petrol prices were increased by 15 paise a litre in Delhi and Kolkata, 14 paise a litre in Mumbai, and 16 paise a litre in Chennai.
8. Diesel prices saw a rise of 22 paise a litre in Delhi and Kolkata, and 23 paise in Mumbai and Chennai.
9. According to the IOC, so far, petrol prices have been increased by Rs. 4.98 per litre in Delhi, Rs. 4.93 per litre in Kolkata, Rs. 4.92 per litre in Mumbai and Rs. 5.24 per litre in Chennai.
10. Diesel prices have seen a rise by Rs. 6.72 per litre in Delhi, Rs. 6.6 per litre in Kolkata, Rs. 7.39 per litre in Mumbai and Rs. 7.19 per litre in Chennai.
11. On Apr 25, the IOC had stopped revising petrol and diesel prices on a daily basis.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.
The Government's much-touted aim to deliver Housing for All by 2022 may not have met with spectacular success in terms…
Besides commercial office spaces, the retail sector also emerged as one of the most vibrant and fast-paced real estate sectors…
Driverless cars: The new sensation in both the tech and transport sectors. The cars are not yet here with us…