A new branch of All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is going to be set up at Deoghar city in Jharkhand.
Here is all you need to know about AIIMS Deoghar:
1. AIIMS Deoghar will be set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
2. The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved Rs. 1103 crore for the project.
3. The AIIMS at Deoghar will consist of a hospital with a capacity of 750 beds, trauma center facilities.
4. It will house a medical college with an in-take of 100 MBBS students per year.
5. There will be a nursing college with an intake of 60 B.Sc.(Nursing) students per year, residential complexes and allied facilities/services, broadly on the pattern of AIIMS, New Delhi.
6. There will be 20 Speciality/Super Speciality Departments, including 15 Operation Theatres.
7. An AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) Department with 30 beds for providing treatment facilities in the traditional system of medicine will also be set up.
8. The setting up of the new AIIMS at Deoghar will serve the dual purpose of providing super speciality healthcare to the population, along with creating a large pool of doctors and other health workers in the region to be available for primary and secondary-level institutions/facilities being created under the National Health Mission (NHM).
9. Under the PMSSY, AIIMS have been established in Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Raipur, Jodhpur, Rishikesh and Patna.
10. Work of AIIMS Rae Bareli (U.P.), Nagpur (Maharashtra), Kalyani (West Bengal) and Mangalagiri in Guntur (A.P.) is in progress.
11. Construction work has also been awarded for AIIMS, Gorakhpur (U.P.).
12. AIIMS branches have also been sanctioned at Bathinda (Punjab) in July 2016,
Guwahati (Assam), May 2017, and Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh) in January 2018.
13. The parent institution, AIIMS Delhi, was established in 1956.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.