Janata Dal (Secular) [JD(S)] leader H.D. Kumaraswamy will officially take oath as the 18th chief minister of Karnataka on Wednesday (May 23).
Governor Vajubhai Vala will administer oath of office and oath of secrecy to the chief minister designate at the Vidhana Soudha around 4 pm.
Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) president G. Parameshwara will take oath as the Deputy Chief Minister.
Governor Vajubhai Vala will administer oath of office and oath of secrecy to the Chief Minister Designate.
Here are 10 things to know about the Karnataka chief minister designate HD Kumaraswamy:
1. Born on Dec 16, 1959 at Haradanahalli village of Holenarasipura Taluk in Karnataka’s Hassan district, HD Kumaraswamy is the son of former Prime Minister H. D. Deve Gowda.
2. He has a B.Sc. degree from National College in Jayanagar, Bangalore.
3. HD Kumaraswamy entered politics during 1996 general elections by contesting and winning the Kanakapura seat in Ramanagara district.
4. However, he faced his worst defeat and even forfeit his deposit in 1998 in the hands of M. V. Chandrashekara Murthy when he sought re-election to the Kanakapura constituency. In 1999, he contested from Sathanur assembly seat. He lost again.
5. HD Kumaraswamy became the chief minister of Karnataka for the first time on Feb 4, 2006. He was called the “people’s CM” after Gross Domestic Product (GDP) recorded an all-time high during his tenure.
6. He became the Karnataka state JD(S) president in November 2014.
7. Popularly known as “Kumaranna”, HD Kumaraswamy is also a film producer, distributor and exhibitor in the Kannada films. He has produced several successful Kannada films like Chandra Chakori (2003) and Jaguar (2016).
8. HD Kumaraswamy has been named in the Janthakal mining scam where he is accused of pressurizing a senior officer to renew Janthakal Enterprise’s lease for iron ore mining for 40 years with forged documents.
9. He has a son named Nikhil Gowda from his first marriage to Anitha on Mar 13, 1986 and a daughter named Shamika K. Swamy from her second marriage to Kannada actress Radhika in 2006.
10. He came under legal scanner for his second marriage which allegedly violated the marriage code under Hindu Personal Law, section 494 of Indian Penal Code (IPC). However, the case was dismissed by the Karnataka High Court due to lack of evidence.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.