India’s first passenger cruise service has been launched between Mumbai and Goa.
Here are the details you need to know:
1. The cruise service is a joint venture between Mumbai Port Trust and Sea Eagle Cruises.
2. The ship has been named Angriya after first Maratha Navy Admiral (Sarkhel) Kanhoji Angre and Angria Bank coral reef near Vijaydurg in Maharashtra.
3. The cruise can accommodate a total of 400 passengers.
4. The cruise will be operated on alternate days from either Mumbai or Goa.
5. The premium cruise service was launched from Mumbai port’s newly constructed domestic terminal on trial basis at 5 pm on Wednesday (May 23). It reached Goa after 15 hours on Thursday (May 24) morning.
6. However, no date has yet been specified as to when regular voyage will start.
7. Mumbai Port Trust chairman Sanjay Bhatia has said the cruise can only operate on fair weather days. So tentatively, the service will be operational between October and May.
8. Cruise ship Angriya can be boarded at Victoria Dock, Mazgaon.
9. There are seven categories of booking with the base price starting at Rs. 7,000.
10. This luxurious cruise sailing is quite expensive in terms of other modes of transport between Mumbai and Goa. For example, a Volvo bus service between Mumbai to Goa costs around Rs 1,000-2,500, while by air it is around Rs 3,500- 7,000. The most premium train service Tejas costs Rs 2,600 per person.
11. For Rs. 7,000 on cruise ship Angriya, passengers will get two meals and a brunch. Also, they can use the swimming pool on the deck.
12. There are 8 types of restaurants on the deck, along with round-the-clock coffee shops, recreation room and lounge.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.