Leading Indian conglomerate Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) on Thursday (July 5) launched Jio GigaFiber, a Fibre to the Home (FTTH) broadband solution.
The announcement was made by RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani at the company’s annual general meeting (AGM) in Mumbai.
Here is everything that you need to know about Reliance Jio GigaFiber service:
1. Jio GigaFiber is a fiber optic based broadband service with a speed up to 1Gbps.
2. The service will be made available across 1,100 cities in India.
3. This service comes with a GigaFiber router and a Jio GigaTV set-top box.
4. Users will be able to use the set-top box to make video calls to other GigaTV devices or mobile connections on any network across the country.
5. Consumers can start registering for the service via MyJio app and Jio.com starting August 15.
6. Reliance said they aim to make JioGigaFiber the largest greenfield fixed-line broadband rollout anywhere in the world.
7. As a part of its Welcome Offer, the company will offer 100Mbps for free with 1Gbps internet speed for 90 days (three months), said jiophone.co.
8. Subscribers of Jio GigaFiber will be avail an array of services, including Ultra HD entertainment on TV, multi-party video conferencing, voice-activated virtual assistant, virtual reality gaming and shopping, and smart home solutions.
9. RIL president Kiran Thomas said users will also be able to connect VR headsets to their Jio GigaFiber network and view 360-degree content in 4K resolution.
10. The company will prioritize rollout of Jio GigaFiber service based on maximum registrations it receives from a particular locality/city.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.