When he was 4 years old, AB de Villiers used to serve drinks to his brothers playing cricket in their backyard.
South African One Day International (ODI) team captain Abraham Benjamin de Villiers, better known as AB de Villiers, turned 33 on Friday.
Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar wished AB de Villiers and posted on Twitter: “When it comes to unorthodox shots, very few people can ace it like @ABdeVilliers17. Happy birthday Mr. 360°, have a splendid one!.”
For AB de Villiers fans, here are 10 interesting facts about the destructive batsman of South African cricket:
1. AB de Villiers was shortlisted for Junior National Hockey and Junior National Football squads.
2. He was also the captain of South Africa Junior National Rugby team.
3. Born on Feb 17, 1984, AB de Villiers considers 17 to be his lucky number. His jersey number is also 17.
4. When he was 4 years old, AB de Villiers used to serve drinks to his brothers playing cricket in their backyard. As a reward, they used to give him a chance to bat.
5. He wanted to be a doctor by profession like his father Dr Abraham P de Villiers. However, it was his father who encouraged him to take up sports. He started playing professional cricket at 18.
6. He is a supporter of Manchester United football club.
7. AB de Villiers admires golfer Tiger Woods, tennis star Roger Federer and British actress Kate Beckinsale.
8. While his female fans gush over his “always fit” physique, AB de Villiers is a big time foodie. His favourites are pasta and seafood.
9. He is a devout Christian whose favourite book is The Bible. He says his religion influences his approach towards life.
10. AB de Villiers plays guitar and also loves to sing. In 2010, he, with his friend, popular singer Ampie du Preez, did a bilingual pop album – ‘Maak Jou Drome Waar’.