American actress Mary Tyler Moore on Wednesday (Jan 25) succumbed to a cardiopulmonary arrest because of pneumonia at a Connecticut hospital. She was 80.
In a statement to media, her publicist Mara Buxbaum said on Wednesday: “Today, beloved icon, Mary Tyler Moore, passed away at the age of 80 in the company of friends and her loving husband of over 33 years, Dr. S. Robert Levine.”
“groundbreaking actress, producer, and passionate advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Mary will be remembered as a fearless visionary who turned the world on with her smile,” said Buxbaum.
Here are 10 facts about the television icon:
1. Mary Tyler Moore rose to fame with her roles in the television sitcoms “The Dick Van Dyke Show” (1961–1966) and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” (1970–1977).
2. Mary Tyler Moore was a Broadway artiste as well. Her notable plays included “Whose Life Is It Anyway” and ” Sweet Sue”.
3. Her production company MTM Enterprises had produced five plays – “Noises Off”, “The Octette Bridge Club”, “Joe Egg”, “Benefactors”, and “Safe Sex” – in the 1980s.
4. Mary Tyler Moore film debut happened in the year 1961 in “X-15”.
5. In her book “After All” published in 1995, the actress talked about how she mixed drug with ice-cream to help her cancer-stricken brother John kill himself to escape the suffering. However the attempt failed.
6. Mary Tyler Moore was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 33. She became the International Chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and worked towards raising funds and awareness against the disease.
7. Mary Tyler Moore was married thrice. She got hitched to Richard Carleton Meeker in 1955 at the age of 18. They divorced in 1961.
Her second marriage was with CBS executive Grant Tinker in 1962 and got divorced in 1981. She then married Dr. Robert Levine in 1983, with whom she fell in love with while he was treating her mother.
8. She had her only son Richard Jr. with her first husband Richard Carleton Meeker. Richard Jr. died at the age of 24 shooting himself in the head accidentally with a sawed-off shotgun.
9. Mary Tyler Moore was into animal welfare and even worked with Farm Sanctuary to raise awareness about factory farming and promote treatment of farm animals.
10. In her lifetime, Mary Tyler Moore has won six Emmy Awards.