10 lesser known facts about Katrina Kaif
Popular Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif celebrated her 33rd birthday on Saturday (July 16).
Kat, who was always “social media shy” unlike her colleagues in the Hindi film industry, debuted on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/KatrinaKaif/), a day before her birthday.
She even posted a video message for her fans on the social networking site.
The Bang Bang girl is celebrating a quiet birthday with her family and close friends. The guest list for the party included her New York and Ek Tha Tiger director Kabir Khan, his wife-actor Mini Mathur, her Mere Brother Ki Dulhan director Ali Abbas Zafar and her manager and good friend Reshma Shetty.
Katrina last featured in director Abhishek Kapoor’s Fitoor (released earlier in February), that was an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ famous novel Great Expectations.
According to MT Wiki, her upcoming releases include Baar Baar Dekho opposite Sidharth Malhotra, Satsang opposite Ajay Devgn, Son of Sardaar 2 with Ajay Devgn, Jagga Jasoos with ex-beau Ranbir Kapoor, Partner 2 with Govinda, Jewel of India with Amitabh Bachchan and Raajneeti 2 with Ranbir Kapoor.
Here are 10 lesser known facts about the Dhoom girl that you may want to know:
- 1. Katrina’s real name was Katrina Turquotte. It was her Boom producer Ayesha Shroff who changed the surname to an easily pronounceable one – Kaif.
- 2. Though she was born in Hong Kong, she spent her childhood in Hawaii (till the age of 14) and moved to England to pursue her modelling career. She has traveled a lot for her modelling assignments to countries like China, France, Switzerland and Poland, before landing in Mumbai to join Bollywood.
- 3. Mahesh Bhatt was the first filmmaker to give her a break in his film Saaya. But due to her inability to speak Hindi, she was dropped from the film. She finally made her debut with Boom in 2003.
- 4. Katrina is the first Hindi film actor who became the face of India’s own Barbie doll.
- 5. She was supposed to be cast with Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra for Anurag Basu’s 2012 flick Barfi! It was Ileana D’Cruz who finally bagged the role.
- 6. Her favourite actors are Leonardo Di Caprio, Johnny Depp and Madhuri Dixit.
- 7. Katrina reportedly got a signing amount of Rs 75 lakh for her Telugu film Malliswari (2004). It was the highest amount paid to any female actor of South Indian cinema at that time.
- 8. Her mother Suzanne, who is a lawyer and a charity worker, home-schooled her. She finished her education with correspondence courses.
- 9. The British-Indian actress is known to be quite religious and superstitious. Before the release of her films, she makes sure to visit the Siddhivinayak Temple and Mount Mary Church in Mumbai, and Dargah Sharif in Ajmer.
- 10. Though she has been linked with quite a few of her co-actors, the only relationship she accepted was with superstar Salman Khan. In a 2011 interview to Cosmopolitan magazine, Katrina said: “Salman Khan was my first serious relationship.”
(Sources: Cosmopolitan magazine, MTV India, Hindustan Times)