Hope and pray you are in a better state now. I just read your mail. You say that you are disturbed and you want me to intervene. You have requested to give you some helpful tips to fight your situation.
I am thankful that you thought of opening up to me and showing that trust. As I read and re-read your mail, I could identify that you are going through a certain amount of depression.
Please don’t panic hearing this word.
Depression is just a state of mind where one feels gloomy without any apparent reason. One tends to feel empty and purposeless.
The mind becomes lethargic and dull to an extent that even small chores look like big tasks. Nothing looks exciting or interesting.
You say you are getting angry and frustrated and are not able to take right decisions. It shows that you are not happy with the way things are going.
Let’s know some important facts about depression and you may be completely surprised to know them. One, a perfectly normal person may come under a depressed state of mind.
Two, it can come at the most unexpected times and would seem very strange for others to understand it. Three, a depressed person just keeps putting different reasons for that state of mind.
Fighting depression looks very difficult on semblance, but once you recognise and accept it, things become easier. The sooner one recognises and accepts it the better.
You have already identified your problem hence it is just a matter of time for you. I am giving you some simple tips which are easy to follow. But, the result would be immensely positive.
So here we go…
1. Try to be in good company.
2. Use your phone and the Internet as less as you can.
3. Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water.
4. Go for a morning walk. It is a must. Drag yourself out somehow and go out.
5. Breathe slow and deep while walking and maintain a comfortable pace.
6. Keep yourself busy and occupied.
7. Observe and look around to seek small joys of life.
8. God has given you a perfect body and you can see, hear, touch, taste, and speak. That itself is such a big blessing dear. Shouldn’t we be grateful for what we have?
9. Count every small blessing in life. A heart filled with gratitude will always help you to find out small joys of life.
10. Your thoughts will reflect on how you feel. So, nurture good and positive thoughts. Be action oriented. Thinking and brooding doesn’t help in any way.
So, gather yourself and bring yourself out of this phase with healthy food, healthy routine, and nurturing positive thoughts.
I am sure you will follow the tips and update me with the results. You will surely be able to change the way you feel at this point. Remember, it is only you who has the power to bring yourself out of this state.
Take care and all the best.
(Saswati Kar is a soft-skill and life-skill trainer and social activist)