Odisha boy Jyotiranjan Barik has topped the all-India Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) examination 2018.
GATE is a qualifying examination for admissions to post-graduate programs like M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D. in Indian institutes of higher education where financial support is provided by the Ministry of Human Resource Development and other government agencies.
The results were declared by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati, on Saturday (Mar 17).
Wishing the Odisha boy on his success, state chief minister Naveen Patnaik tweeted: “Delighted to learn that Odia student from Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT) Jyotiranjan Barik has topped the all India Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering #GATEExam2018. Many congratulations to him and wishing him all success in his career.”
Here are 10 things you need to know about GATE 2018 topper Jyotiranjan Barik:
1. Jyotiranjan Barik is fourth-year student of agricultural engineering at Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT).
2. The 23-year-old scored 959 out of 1,000 marks in GATE 2018.
3. He did his schooling from Sri Sri Abhiram Paramhansa Bidyapitha at Sasol village in Odisha’s Cuttack district.
4. GATE 2018 topper Jyotiranjan Barik completed his Plus-II from Maharishi College of Natural Law in Bhubaneswar.
5. His score was 90.33% in Class X and 80.5% in his Plus-II boards.
6. Jyotiranjan Barik’s father Gajendra Barik is a private firm employee, while his mother is a housewife. They are residents of Phulnakhara in Cuttack district
7. GATE 2018 was Jyotiranjan Barik’s first attempt at cracking the national level entrance test.
“I was somewhat sure that I will qualify, but never expected to top the exam. When my friends told me about my results, I could not believe my ears,” he told reporters.
8. He did not join any coaching centre to prepare for GATE. Instead, he used to study three-four hours a day for the all-India exam.
9. Jyotiranjan Barik wants to do M. Tech in soil and water conservation from IIT, Kharagpur and then opt for a PhD.
10. The GATE topper wants to be a scientist.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.