Ending row over appointments, senior advocate Indu Malhotra took oath as the new Supreme Court judge on Friday (Apr 27).
Here is everything you need to know about new Supreme Court judge Indu Malhotra:
1. Amid row over the Centre’s rejection of Uttarakhand Chief Justice KM Joseph’s elevation to the Supreme Court, Indu Malhotra was administered oath of office by Chief Justice Dipak Misra on Friday morning.
2. Her appointment makes her the first woman to be directly appointed as a Supreme Court judge.
3. Indu Malhotra, 62, is the seventh woman judge in the apex court of India since independence. The first woman judge of the Supreme Court was Justice Fathima Beevi who was appointed in 1989.
4. Indu Malhotra was the second woman to be appointed as a senior advocate in the Supreme Court in 2007.
5. She was born on Mar 14, 1956 in Bangalore to senior advocate Om Prakash Malhotra and Satya Malhotra.
6. After her schooling at Carmel Convent School, New Delhi, Indu Malhotra completed her B.A. (Hons.) and Masters in Political Science from Lady Shri Ram College.
7. Post Maters, she became a Lecturer in Political Science at Miranda House College and Vivekanand College.
8. During 1979-1982, Indu Malhotra did her Bachelor of Laws from the Faculty of Law, Delhi University.
9. Indu Malhotra took up law as a profession in 1983, when she was enrolled with the Bar Council of Delhi.
10. In 1988, topping the examination, she qualified as an Advocate-on-Record in the Supreme Court.
11. From 1991-1996, Indu Malhotra was designated the Standing Counsel for the State of Haryana in the Supreme Court. Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI), Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), and Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) are some of the statutory corporations she represented before the apex court.
12. Indu Malhotra is a specialist in the law of arbitration.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.