10 interesting facts about population
As of 2012 figures, Uttar Pradesh alone has a population of 204.2 million, compared to 143.5 million population in Russian Federation.
Every year, July 11 is observed as World Population Day to raise awareness about global population issues. An initiative of the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme, the annual event was started in 1989.
According to Worldometers, real time world statistics, as of July 11, 2016, there are a total of 7.435 billion people living on Planet Earth.
The United Nations (UN) estimates a further rise to 11.2 billion by the year 2100.
Here are 10 interesting facts about India’s population that you might want to know:
1. In 2015, India ranked second in the list of 5 Most Populated Countries with a population of 1,251,695,584.
China tops the list with 1,361,512,535 citizens while USA held the third spot with 321,362,789, followed by Indonesia (255,993,674) and Brazil (204,259,812).
2. As of 2012 figures, Uttar Pradesh alone has a population of 204.2 million, compared to 143.5 million population in Russian Federation.
3. Odisha has a population of 43.73 million as estimated in 2014. That’s higher than Canadian population of 35.16 million!
4. According to 2015 statistics, Chhattisgarh has a citizen strength of 27.93 million, higher than the total population of Australia (23.13 million).
5. According to 2013 official figures, the Indian Railways itself has over 1.376 million employees; well, that’s almost equal to the combined population of Trinidad and Tobago, Estonia, Mauritius, Bahrain, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City.
6. Every day, approximately 30 million passengers travel via Indian Railways. That’s more than the total population of Sri Lanka (20.48 million as counted in 2013).
7. There are 125,226,449 (approx, 125 million) people who speak English in India. And the total population of United Kingdom is 64.1 million as in 2013; which means there are almost double the number of English speakers in India than in the UK.
8. As per the figures taken on Oct 1, 2013, around 65 million people live in slums in India. That almost makes up the entire Thailand, which has a population strength of 67.01 million.
9. According to the Census 2011 data, India has a whopping student population of 315 million, that’s almost equivalent to the combined population of Russia (143.5 million) and Pakistan (182.1 million).
10. As per the Census 2001, India has a workforce of over 400 million. That is more than Indonesia’s total population of 249.9 million.
(Sources: Worldometers, UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund, BBC, Youth Connect, Indian Railways, official website of Census of India)