Reema Lagoo, noted for her supporting roles in Hindi and Marathi films, was admitted to Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital around 1 am after she complained of chest pain. She succumbed to cardiac arrest around 3.15 am, confirmed her family.
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan expressed grief at her demise and tweeted: “Just heard the shocking and unbelievable news about Reema Lagoo’s passing .. such a fine talent and gone so young! Very SAD !!”
Actor Rishi Kapoor posted: “RIP. Worked in quite a few films. Reema Lagoo. Good friend. Heartfelt condolences.”
Reema Lagoo’s co-actor from films like “Yeh Dillagi” and “Aarzoo”, Akshay Kumar, tweeted: “Saddened to hear about the demise of #ReemaLagoo, had the opportunity to work with her…a fine actress and person.Prayers to the family.”
Actress Priyanka Chopra also posted on Twitter: “RIP #ReemaLagoo such a loss to art and cinema. You are and will always be our favourite screen mom. My condolences to the family.”
Here are 10 facts that you should know about veteran actress Reema Lagoo:
1. Reema Lagoo’s real name was Nayan Bhadbhade. She took the stage name Reema Lagoo post her marriage to Marathi actor Vivek Lagoo.
2. She was born on Feb 3, 1958 in Mumbai. Her mother was noted Marathi stage actress Mandakini Bhadbhade.
3. Lagoo started her acting skills since her schooldays, though she was professionally trained in the art after she completed her high school.
4. She debuted as an actress on the Marathi stage. However, her first silver-screen stint was with Marathi film “Simhasan” in 1979.
5. Lagoo debuted in Bollywood (Hindi film industry) as a supporting actress in 1980 film “Kalyug”.
6. Noted mostly for her role of mother, Reema Lagoo starred in an array of superhit films including Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988), Maine Pyar Kiya (1989), Saajan (1991), Rangeela (1995), Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! (1994), Yeh Dillagi (1994), Dilwale (1994), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Vaastav: The Reality (1999) and Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003).
7. Lagoo was also a prominent name in Hindi television. In the 1990s, she acted in popular television serials “Tu Tu Main Main” and “Shrimaan Shrimati”.
You may like to read
8. She was last seen in Mahesh Bhatt’s television serial “Naamkarann” (2016-17).
9. Reema Lagoo was nominated four times for the Filmfare Awards in the Best Supporting Actress category – for Maine Pyar Kiya in 1990, for Aashiqui in 1991, for Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! in 1995, and for Vaastav: The Reality in 2000.
10. Her daughter Mrunmayee Lagoo is an actress and theatre director.