Noida girl Raksha Gopal has topped the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) Class XII examination scoring 99.6% marks.
To her surprise, Raksha Gopal, who was expecting around 95%, learnt about her feat not via television or Internet, but it was Human Resource Development Minister Prakasha Javadekar, who called her over phone to give the good news.
“I freaked out. The minister was very proud that someone from the humanities stream had left the others behind. When I told him I want to get a degree in political science, he welcomed me to the subject,” Raksha Gopal was quoted as saying by TOI.
Here are 10 things you should know about Raksha Gopal:
1. Raksha Gopal, 17, is a student of humanities at Amity International School, Noida.
2. Her subjects were English, History, Political Science, Economics and Psychology. She scored 100, 99, 100,100 and 99 in the subjects respectively in the CBSE examination.
3. Raksha Gopal wants to pursue Political Science (Honours). Her choice of colleges are Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Miranda House, and, Jesus & Mary College.
4. She loves playing the piano and is a Grade V certificate holder from Trinity College of Music, London.
5. Gopal is an avid reader. Her favourite authors are John Grisham, Anthony Doerr and Susan Colleen.
6. Gopal is learning French and recently completed a course from Alliance Française de Delhi. She wishes to learn Spanish as well.
You may like to read
7. She also enjoys travelling, especially to places with historical significance.
8. It’s a family of four – Raksha Gopal, her father Gopal Pallipuram Srinivasan, who is a Chief Finance Officer of Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation, her mother Ranjani Gopal and her elder sister Prerna.
9. Gopal is a blogger as well.
10. Gopal says she did not take any private tuition while preparing for the CBSE examination.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.