Self-styled god woman Radhe Maa is facing the music now. This popular spiritual leader has been booked in three seduction cases over the last two years.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court has ordered a First Information Report (FIR) against her.
In one of the cases, former Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) member Surender Mittal accused Radhe Maa of trying to seduce him several times. He alleged that the god woman used to say “I love you” every time he went to seek her blessings as a devotee. On confronting her, Mittal alleged, Radhe Maa cursed him.
The case will come up for hearing on Oct 13.
This comes days after rape convict Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was on Aug 28 sentenced to 20 years of rigorous imprisonment by a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) special court in two cases dating back to 2002.
Here are some interesting facts about Radhe Maa that you need to know:
1. Controversial god-woman Radhe Maa was born Sukhvinder Kaur on April 4, 1965 at Dorangala village of Punjab’s Gurdaspur district.
2. Though her followers claim that Radhe Maa showed her spiritual inclination since childhood and spent hours at a local Kali temple, her native villagers counter the fact as said she was like any “normal” child.
3. Radhe Maa’s official website claims she has studied till Class 10.
4. At 18 years of age, she got married to a man named Mohan Singh and became a mother of two sons.
5. Radhe Maa took to tailoring to supplement the meagre income of her husband.
6. It is said Radhe Maa got attracted to spirituality after her husband went to Doha city of Qatar to seek better employment.
7. She became a disciple of godman Mahant Ram Deen Das of 1008 Paramhans Bagh Dera Mukerian at the age of 23. It was Ram Deen Das who initiated her (tantrik diksha) and renamed her as Radhe Maa (Mother Radha).
8. After joining the Paramhans Dera, Radhe Maa started decking up in bright red costumes and heavy jewellery and projecting herself as incarnation of Goddess Durga.
9. Her first disciple was a young woman from Mukerian city of Punjab’s Hoshiarpur district. She soon became a close associate of Radhe Maa and now the congregation knows her as Choti Maa.
10. Her another close associate is Talli Baba, who dedicated his life to her service since the age of 12-13.
11. Radhe Maa has her unique style of blessing her devotees. She dances with them and make them lift and carry her. She even reportedly allows her devotees kiss her.
12. Many online videos show she dancing to Bollywood songs. She has also been clicked in western clothes like mini skirt.
13. Though she claims she has no supernatural powers, her devotees are often seen coming out in public and stating how they have experienced her miracles.
14. It was after Man Mohan Gupta, owner of popular sweet shop MM Mithaiwala, became her disciple that Radhe Maa moved to Mumbai.
You may like to read
15. She claims that Lord Shiva has granted her a boon. “Any devotee who with a pure body and mind attended nine chowkis of Maa Durga and followed it with a darshan of Radhe Maa would have all his wishes granted by Lord Shiva,” reads her official website.
16. She tasted controversy after a 32-year woman alleged her husband’s family of torturing her for dowry on Radhe Maa’s orders. The godwoman was summoned by the Mumbai Police for questioning but she was declared an absconder in 2015.
17. In a 2014 police complaint, Radhe Maa was held responsible for the suicide of seven family members in Kutch, Gujarat, whose condition, she failed to improve despite promises against huge donations.
Sreya is based in Kolkata. She is a Senior Editor of Big Wire.